This morning I opened my eyes and the FIRST THING I thought about were the frozen pancakes in our freezer. When Brock was here last week, Mom made homemade pancakes for him and she always freezes the extras. I could picture them...right there next to the box of my "healthy" multi-grain mini pancakes (which are on my list and which are pretty good). But they are NOT Donna's homemade pancakes. So here's my train of thought:
"Yummm!! Those sound SO good!"
"Those are NOT on my list!"
"So what...I can just eat them to celebrate the END of my period....sort of like a going-away party!"
"What? That's crazy!"
"Yeah, I can just have them AND THEN start the day over in a healthy way...back on the wagon".
"I'm having them. I am. Yes, I am."
This decision was enough to drag me out of my very warm, snuggly and comfy bed where I was curled up next to my sweet sleeping husband.
Go to kitchen.
Make pancakes.
Cover them in REAL (not lite) syrup...prepare to enjoy!
Take one bite.
"These aren't that good after sitting in the freezer for almost a week."
"So what!!...I've already gotten them ready...just eat them!"
"But I could throw these out and make my mini-pancakes and start the day right by eating what's on my plan."
"Maybe if I do that I can have a cookie or ten instead..." (I like to reward myself for good choices, after all!!)
(Note to self: Clean out the stupid cabinets and rid them of "rewards" ie temptations.)
JUST SAY NO!!!
Go to sink and throw plate of sub-par pancakes down the drain.
And I did.
I did it!! A victory, even when small, is STILL a victory!
After this little episode, I made my mini-pancakes, but only ate 4 of the 9 (which is a serving size) because get this..."I felt full". And that, my friends, is what I like to call a MIRACLE!
**now I did eat a small cookie too...but ONE...not 10!!!**
Now off to the gym we go...
Thank you, God, for helping me win this one small battle in the war!
8/14/2010
Small Victories
Posted by Holly at 8/14/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
way to go! it's all about the small victories, for sure. ;)
Holly,
I just happened to click on your blog to find that you are back! I know you can do this and every little change you make is a victory. Just remember that it's progress, not perfection. I will keep definitely keep you in my prayers.
Much love,
Judy Smith
Post a Comment